Sunday, January 01, 2017

Happy New Year! - Start it off right!

Happy New Year, friends!

Today I am happy to bring you a creation for the most recent Lasting Memories challenge. I feel like this is a great way to start off the new year - with a sparkly page, using a new technique I haven't tried. I have also included a couple of other pocket pages I have created for my Disney album, which is another good way to start the year - by being prolific - one of my 2017 scrappy goals.

This week's challenge at Lasting Memories is to use punches or die cuts. I do not have any punches, but I do have a cricut I love to use, so I created some die cut words for my title page for my Disneyworld vacation album.


I've actually had this idea in my head for a while for my title page. I enjoy watching the sequin usage of Sarah McLellan on YouTube, and  I saw her create a fun title page for one of her albums a while ago, and I loved the idea. I just had to add a photo of the castle because it is just so beautiful!


I have a fuse tool, but I wanted to sew through the letters, as is the current style, and to keep the sequins from going atop the photo, so went ahead and just sewed the top of the page shut too.


I painted the little wooden at sign and added some glitter and just used some super sticky tape to adhere it to the glitter ribbon.

I'm super happy with how my title page turned out! I hope it gets the viewer ready for the Christmasy, scrappy goodness within the album.


I recently put out a facebook post in the Scrap Gals group looking for some pocket page inspiration, because I struggle with my pocket pages. I recognize I will never scrapbook all the photos I wish to scrapbook if I do not use pocket pages, which is why I do them. But I feel like 12x12 layouts are definitely my strengths. I realized I struggle particularly with pocket pages with multiple 4x6 pockets which do not contain photos.

My journaling almost always goes on a 3x4 card because I do not write enough for a 4x6 card. So, if I use a 4x6 card with a phrase or word on it, I feel as though a second phrase card would take away from the rest of the page and leave the reader wondering where to rest the eye. For this reason, I tend to try to use a card with some type of image, of which I do not have many. So with as many pocket page cards as I do have, I find that I end up making my own 4x6 cards so very often! It seems so silly, but for a cohesive page look and to satisfy this rule of not using multiple phrases, it is what I feel I need to do.

So, due to the amount of photos from our Disney trip, I am attempting to overcome this aversion to pocket pages (I always leave them as last to work on!) and I have completed quite a few so far in my album.


Another festive, Christmas page - here is the story of how our elf, Tinsel  found us! Haha - I had 4 4x6 photos to work with here, which I find much easier than the delimma I described above.

Have you ever embossed stamping on photos. I did the first, the red only, and wondered why I didn't see it much - I loved it!


However, when I did the top photo embossing, I realized why it probably isn't common when some of the photo began to bubble up after too much heat. It returned to normal when I quickly removed the heat, but I could definitely see it causing some problems!


I created a journaling card here by framing it in some festive, Christmas washi.

The first park day, we visited Epcot. I used this page to document my baby's first Disneyworld ride ever - which he promptly slept through!


I am happy with the balance between the 4x6 cards, and of course, I ended up making the bottom card.


Well, here's to a wonderful 2017! I hope you get all your crafty goals accomplished and then some! I also hope I can offer a bit of inspiration, as I know this community inspires me to be a better crafter and scrapbooker.

Supplies:
Shaker page - table scatter from the dollar store
Die cut paper - Pink Paislee
Glitter ribbon - Dollar Tree

1st pocket page
Red papers - American Crafts
Green card - Me and my Big Ideas
Stamps - Studio Calico
Fun sticker - echo park
Red washi - American Crafts

2nd Pocket page
Top card - Echo Park
Bottom card sticker - Echo park
Bottom card paper - American Crafts
glitter ribbon - Dollar tree
3x4 cards - Me and My Big Ideas
Disney Washi - Simple Stories

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment